Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Your problem & advice given to you about drug addiction?

hey. i need to ask you about the problems you encounter about drug addiction... and the advices people/friends gave you.





** sort of like those problem/advice page on the magazines..





thank you.Your problem %26amp; advice given to you about drug addiction?
Well, I have to say peoples advice never held any sway to get me to quit using drugs and alcohol. I totally wanted their advice when things went bad for me but never took it (I think I just liked the attention), I always thought I was smarter than them. When I was up and having a good time I resented their advice and wanted them to leave me alone.





Understand this coming from me, a drug addict who knows - addicts are manipulators, they are selfish, spineless, romantic, narcissistic liars who love people but not near as much as they love feeling good. We come in all shapes and sizes with all sorts of different addictions. We quit when we get good and ready and only when we can face the truth and begin to tell the truth, no matter what. No person ever told me that, I had to find it out on my own.





Advice: ';fake it til you make it'; (just plain stupid and vague), ';prayer and God can take away your cravings and heal you'; (partially true but not like magic, it's a trial), ';Keep coming to AA/NA'; meetings (makes your addiction the center focus of your life), ';talk to someone'; (I never listen), ';Get married to someone who will keep you straight'; (you'll make them miserable).





Addiction is a mindset not at all easily overcome, I'm still trying to beat it everyday. Even though I have not used illegal drugs in 20 years and stopped drinking many years ago I have had trouble with any prescription I ever took that altered my normal state, even over the counter stuff. I am still married after 20 years but my personality causes much emotional pain to those I love. I am working on it.





Hope that answers your question. Advice is good - just not real effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment