Thursday, July 29, 2010

Interviewing for a postion within my dept. - can you offer some advice?

I am the part time receptionist where I work - and my boss currently has an opening as her assistant. I am completely qualified for the job description, but the because the postion is part time - the position was opened to external candidates as well internal. I have filled in as my boss' asst. when she has needed extra help. She knows me, my skills and my work ethic. I understand how the dept. works, and am friendly, professional and a team player. Of course, in my mind - I feel I am the best candidate if compared to someone from the outside.


So, my question is this - how do I approach the interview without sounding cocky? How do I deal with the disappointment if I am not chosen - and do I let on if disappointed....it almost seems not worth it to go for it...any advise/suggestions?? I love my current job - but want more of a challenge.Interviewing for a postion within my dept. - can you offer some advice?
make those same points during the interview: you already work there, you know the routine, you've filled in as your boss' assistant before, friendly, team player, etc etc. and that you are ready for a challenge.





And being confident is different from being cocky. Confidence is attractive and a good quality to have!





best of luck to ya!Interviewing for a postion within my dept. - can you offer some advice?
It sounds like you are ready to take the next step in your work experiences.





Update your resume reflecting current skills (the tasks that you performed during the time of helping your boss out); and apply for the position. This lets your boss know that you are interested in the opportunity, have the experience and knowledge of the company, and that you would like to interview for it.





The best advise I can give you for the interview, is to be yourself. If you do not get the job do not take it personal; it just means that someone else was more qualified for the position.





Now if you feel the disappointment will get in the way of performing your current job duties and to treat the new hire with respect, maybe this is a wake call for you to move on to bigger and better challenges.





Good Luck. . .
Ask if you can have the opportunity to be part of the team as your boss's asst.


Tell her you like working for her and you can maximize efficiency in the work place as her asst.





best of Luck!!!!
Answering the disappointment part of your questions. If you do not get the job do not show disappointment at work. However, you should ask your boss what areas you need to work on in order to be selected the next time. Tell the boss that you are, of course, disappointed that you did not get the position, but want to be prepared for the next opening.





It sounds like you have all the skills and experience needed to get the position. But it is not unusual for a company to put someone totally unqualified in a job because that person is the niece, nephew, kid of one of the management. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment